Board of Management FAQs
DOWNTOWN YONGE BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT AREA (DYBIA)
BOARD OF MANAGEMENT NOMINATIONS FOR 2015
When will the new Board members be elected?
The election of the Board takes place at the Annual General Meeting, scheduled for Thursday November 27, 2014. The term aligns with City Council and is four years in length.
Who can be nominated for the DYBIA Board of Management?
People who are owners, operators, partners, officers, directors or employees of a business within the DYBIA, as well as stakeholders in the neighbourhood. City councillors are not eligible for nomination. All commercial property owners and tenants are likewise eligible for nomination.
How large is the Board?
The Board currently has 11 members in addition to representation from Toronto City Council.
What does the Board of Management do?
- Acting as an ambassador for the DYBIA, its member businesses and the larger downtown community;
- Understanding and supporting the need for visionary city-building, a key focus of the DYBIA;
- Connecting to the wider downtown community to open doors and further the strategic vision of the DYBIA with a range of stakeholders;
- Helping to develop sponsorship opportunities for the DYBIA’s programs and services;
- Playing a constructive role to support positive change in Downtown Yonge; and
Engaging in Board committee work from time to time.
What time commitment is required?
Board meetings are held bi-monthly and last approximately 2-3 hours. Board members are furthermore expected to attend a certain number of member or DYBIA events during the year, as well as dedicate time to preparing for Board meetings.